Declaration on the Vital Importance of Toys
The following statement was prepared by the Spanish Toy Association (Asociación Española de Fabricantes de Juguetes – AEFJ) and provides the many vitally important reasons why toys are so necessary to the development and well-being of children. This statement was endorsed by the members of the International Council of Toy Industries at their Annual Meeting in June 2006.
- Children have played with toys throughout history and in all cultures. Toys promote children’s well-being.
- Toys have a central role in children’s play with one another and help them develop socially.
- Toys support the right to play in childhood which is essential to healthy child development.
- Restriction of the right to play and the time to play has serious consequences on children’s development and their later behaviour as adults.
- Toys are vital tools that help foster the mental, physical, emotional and social development of boys and girls.
- Toys support the right to education through encouraging play and learning.
- Toys are basic instruments for the development of children’s fantasy, imagination and creativity.
- Toys are available for all stages and ages of child development. They enrich family life by fostering fun, amusement and communication between all family members, regardless of age.
- A safe, secure environment is essential for play. Toys must be safe and of high quality to avoid foreseeable hazards.
- Providing they comply with all the conditions necessary to ensure children’s safety, toys are an integral part of their development.